October 16, 2021
The CKNX Health Care Heroes Radiothon
Get ready to listen and pledge! Listen live at AM920 and www.cknx.ca all day or tune in on at the top of each hour on 101.7 The One and 94.5 Classic Rock. Ten local hospital foundations and CKNX will broadcast a unique all-day fundraiser from the CKNX Radio Station building in Wingham, Ontario. All you have to do is listen, pick up your phone and call to donate to the WDH Foundation. Full information at the the CKNX website
October 2, 2021
The Great Hospital Race VIRTUAL
Current Funding Priorities
Blood Analyzer Machine
- Compact machine that is utilized on a daily basis.
- For coagulation tests. These tests are important for patients so that physicians can order blood thinning medications accurately and know that they are also working effectively.
- These tests aid physicians in diagnosis of blood clotting abnormalities in patients.
- We process over 3,200 coagulation tests per year.
- Current machine is over 10 years old.
- New model offers the new features that better ensure the quality of the blood sample and the quality of the results.
- Used on a daily basis by lab and nursing staff
- Offers a point of care testing for nursing staff
- Provides immediate preliminary results on a urine sample to see if there are signs of infection
- Used to perform pregnancy testing
- Needed for 2,300 tests yearly
- Replaces a non-lab grade specimen fridge from the 90’s
- Used daily to safely store samples that need to be sent out for testing
- New refrigeration will be of lab grade and will be connected to alarm system to ensure no samples become unfit and require a redraw from a patient
Electrosurgical Generator (ie. Cauterizing Machine)
An electrosurgical generator, also known as a cautery device, uses high-frequency electrical current to cut tissue and control bleeding by causing coagulation. Electrical current is delivered and received through cables and electrodes.
- Cautery is used in both scope procedures and open procedures to control bleeding
- Must be available for all procedures
- New electrosurgical generator unit can attach to various other surgical tools, such as scopes, to be used concurrently
- 2,200 – approximate number of surgical procedures performed annually at the Wingham & District Hospital
- Types of surgeries assisted by electrosurgical generator:
- Cholecystectomy (gall bladder removal)
- Hernia repair
Joe Kerr Limited Donates $15,000
Joe Kerr Limited continues their tradition of strong support for local healthcare with a $15,000 donation. This generous gift will help fund new scopes for our OR. Over 2,000 surgical procedures take place at our hospital annually. Keeping this active department outfitted with p to date technology is vital to continuing to provide high quality healthcare close to home. This donation will make a big difference for many surgical patients.
The WDH Foundation extends a sincere thank you to Murray Kerr, Andrew Kerr and the entire team at Joe Kerr Limited.
Donation from Braemar Residents
The residents of Braemar Retirement Centre have a long tradition of hosting in-house fundraising activities to benefit the many local causes that are important to them. In light of the forthcoming closure of the retirement centre the residents have chosen to donate the remaining proceeds from their community fundraising to the Wingham & District Hospital Foundation.
This generous gift of $1,676 will help bring upgraded medical technology to our hospital. Thank you to the residents and staff of Braemar Retirement Centre for their efforts on behalf of our community.