October 16, 2021
The CKNX Health Care Heroes Radiothon
Get ready to listen and pledge! Listen live at AM920 and www.cknx.ca all day or tune in on at the top of each hour on 101.7 The One and 94.5 Classic Rock. Ten local hospital foundations and CKNX will broadcast a unique all-day fundraiser from the CKNX Radio Station building in Wingham, Ontario. All you have to do is listen, pick up your phone and call to donate to the WDH Foundation. Full information at the the CKNX website
Tuesday, December 1, 2020
Black Friday, Cyber Monday…Giving Tuesday! Help kick off the giving season by making your annual donation on Giving Tuesday. After two big shopping days it’s time to give back. All funds donated to the WDH Foundation on Giving Tuesday will go towards a cauterizing machine for the Operating Room.
Auxiliary Holiday Bake Sale
November 27 from 10am to 4pm – Join the Ladies Auxiliary at 480 Carling Terrace (not the hospital) for some holiday cheer and baked goods. COVID safety measures will be in effect. Please wear a mask and physical distance. If supplies last, bake sale will continue November 28th from 10am to 12pm. For more information, contact Trudy Thompson at 519-357-2349 or Verna Steffler at 519-357-1184.
Current Funding Priorities
Blood Analyzer Machine
- Compact machine that is utilized on a daily basis.
- For coagulation tests. These tests are important for patients so that physicians can order blood thinning medications accurately and know that they are also working effectively.
- These tests aid physicians in diagnosis of blood clotting abnormalities in patients.
- We process over 3,200 coagulation tests per year.
- Current machine is over 10 years old.
- New model offers the new features that better ensure the quality of the blood sample and the quality of the results.
- Used on a daily basis by lab and nursing staff
- Offers a point of care testing for nursing staff
- Provides immediate preliminary results on a urine sample to see if there are signs of infection
- Used to perform pregnancy testing
- Needed for 2,300 tests yearly
- Replaces a non-lab grade specimen fridge from the 90’s
- Used daily to safely store samples that need to be sent out for testing
- New refrigeration will be of lab grade and will be connected to alarm system to ensure no samples become unfit and require a redraw from a patient
Electrosurgical Generator (ie. Cauterizing Machine)
An electrosurgical generator, also known as a cautery device, uses high-frequency electrical current to cut tissue and control bleeding by causing coagulation. Electrical current is delivered and received through cables and electrodes.
- Cautery is used in both scope procedures and open procedures to control bleeding
- Must be available for all procedures
- New electrosurgical generator unit can attach to various other surgical tools, such as scopes, to be used concurrently
- 2,200 – approximate number of surgical procedures performed annually at the Wingham & District Hospital
- Types of surgeries assisted by electrosurgical generator:
- Cholecystectomy (gall bladder removal)
- Hernia repair
The Great Hospital Race Goes Virtual – Raises $9,500
The 8th Annual Great Hospital Race went virtual for 2020 with teams competing at home in five goofy, puzzling, messy and sporty challenges. Thanks to all the teams and especially the outstanding support of corporate sponsors, the event raised over $9,500 for our hospital. In a year in which many of us faced challenges and had to adapt to new circumstances this is an excellent result that will make a big difference for our hospital. All proceeds from the Great Hospital Race will go towards blood and urine analysis machines for our in-hospital lab.